Thursday, April 11, 2019

A happier life

Today I was listening to music and the song "Happier" by Marshmello and Bastille came on. This song is about a story that involves a love affair between the narrator and his significant other that is rapidly coming to its end. He wants to stay with her but knows the only way his significant other can be "happier" is by abandoning the relationship and going their separate ways. This connects with living the good life and Socrates. We talked about Socrates in class and Socrates says, "happiness does not flow from physical or external conditions, such as bodily pleasures or wealth and power, but for living a life that's right for your soul, your deepest good." The narrator has to leave his significant other in order to allow both of them to achieve what's right for their soul. In the lyrics, it says" Lately, I've been, I've been thinking I want you to be happier, I want you to be happier." He comes to realize that in order to benefit both of their souls, he has to leave. This will let both of them live out their own lives in happiness.




1 comment:

  1. Lately, when I drive in my car I play country music. I have the windows down and just sing along to the songs as loud as I please with the wind blowing through my hair. This part of my life is pure antaraxia. In these moments, I have no stress or worries in the world. I am just living life as I please to do what makes me happy. Epicurus thinks that the best life does not require extravagance or lots of money, which is 100% true. With friends or even by myself in my car singing is one of my favorite things to do that brings me so much joy.

    ReplyDelete