Thursday, April 18, 2019

Having too many choices

The paradox of choice is an observation that having a lot of choices will lead one to better choose the option that best suits them. However, a large variety of options will actually hinder your decision-making process. Once you actually pick something, you then might begin to wonder if that was actually the best option for you, which could potentially cause stress and anxiety. I think this idea coincides with college students today. We are all already stressed with our classes we are currently taking, but on top of that, each semester we have to pick classes/clubs to be a part of. This whole idea is stressful because there are so many options and opportunities it is hard to really know what you will enjoy the most, but nearly impossible to try everything. I feel like this also goes into choosing a major. Most of us already have a general idea of what we want to do, but there are so many options out there it is kind of hard to really decide what is the right fit for you if you are stuck about what you want to do with your life. The idea of having to choose can become overwhelming for the individual, making it ten times harder to make a decision.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this! The other day I was at the nail salon and it took me forever to pick a color because there were so many to choose from. I ended up picking two totally different colors because I had such a hard time deciding which one I liked best. From my own life and so many other examples I can see how too many choices don't always make the situation better and in most cases it makes them worse. Unless there is a great amount of time that a person can weigh every single option to find the best one it is better to only have a few. Another reason fewer options are better than many is that there are, with most things, only a handful of good ones to choose from and the rest should be eliminated immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this standpoint on having too many choices is difficult. I am a very indecisive person so even something as simple as going out to eat and picking food from the menu is very stressful for me! I tend to always get the same meal even though I would like to try new things. I am just afraid to try new food because I don't want to not like it and waste what could have been a good meal. I have learned through many philosophies that to live life right you must go for it! Say yes to life! The fun in life is not knowing so even if that is with food or serious decisions we must take a risk (like Nietsche says).

    ReplyDelete